Wednesday, March 24, 2010

IPHA Day

On February 2, 2010, Jan Frerichs and I journeyed to the "Hill". While not the "Hill" that we all think of in Washington, D.C. this was our own personal "hill" here in Iowa. We went to Des Moines for a chance to experience a "lobbying" day in Des Moines. It is far different form then what I was used to in Washington, D.C. Des Moines definitely has a more personal site to it as we met with one of my Representative, Nick Wagner, and a Senator, Shawn Hammerlinck (whom I went to school with). They took us around and talked to us about our issues. In D.C. we usually meet with aids and it feels like a very hurried environment, which don't get me wrong I love. In Des Moines they took time out of meetings to discuss things with us on a personal level.
We also were able to talk to Iowa Public Health Alliance and discuss issues that impacted us both. They understand the need for Licensure and have in the past worked towards it with us. I look forward to working with them in the future. It was a wonderful opportunity to see how things work at a state level and to open the lines of communication with IPHA. This experience helped us to understand what would possibility occur if we did a "Day on the Hill" as ASCLS-IA. I will be writing an article and including a picture of our day. Please look for it in the next newsletter.

No comments:

Post a Comment